Friday, February 3, 2012

Armadillo Purse

OMG!OMG!OMG! I JUST started this post and already you get to share in the pure joy that I call hunting.I finished the day early and decided to hit three thrift stores.
Armadillo Purse--Front View
The first one is a privately owned store that used to be overpriced and poorly organized.  They made an overhaul and TA DA...its like a new place (maybe except for that musky old smell that permeates the building).  What keeps me going back is the unusual pieces that they stock and underprice(if that can even apply in thrifting).  The jewelry is reasonable but thats not why we're here...I FOUND AN ARMADILLO PURSE!
I went into another regular store I pop into once a week, I went to look at the alligator purse for the tenth time and BAM! In the case next to the alligator purse is a red-brown tone vintage Armadillo purse sans straps.
Armadillo Purse--Back View
Just this morning, this purse was on my wish list and now its on my SCORE List.  I didn't intend to spend as much on the purse but this is only the second purse I've seen in person and it was in much better condition than the first.  I intend to add a chain strap or replace the missing braided leather strap.

About the purse: The armadillo purse is a unique vintage piece that I date to around the 40's.  It has red toned jeweled eyes and real armadillo skin with legs and feet included.  The claws are intact as is all the stitching.  What made my "You must buy" reflex kick in is the awesome reddish brown hue and the quality of the bag.  Despite the missing braided straps the lining and mirror are fully intact as is all the stitching on the bag.  I felt that familiar high that all thrifting junkies feel when you've actually scored an item in person that you've been drooling over on line for some time.
Armadillo Purse--Open Flap

Interesting Fact: Armadillos have been linked to Leprosy in humans, a bacterial disease that can lead to nerve damage and disfigurement.  In most cases, people are infected after being exposed to saliva from an infected person, usually while traveling to parts of the world, such as Africa and Asia, where the disease is more prevalent.  This is a fact that I learned about before I bought the purse.  The transmission of disease comes from the flesh and they advice that people no longer eat or skin armadillos.
With ALL that said...I still love my purse.  Its definetely a show piece and I need to pick the perfect opportunity to wear it.  Many people (Im sure some of you reading this) are grossed out and repulsed by the thought of wearing an animal...Im not.  I have some reservations about fur but I have always been attracted to taxidermy jewelry and purses.

8 comments:

  1. Congratz!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    We picked one up on Saturday ata yard sale, same strap condition but the rest is in good condition, not as good as yours but the inside is red and the mirror is intact as well as the stiching. My daugter will get it for her birthday. I bet I payed less than you though. $3.00!
    But that is the fun of thrifts and yard sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello GerbiHut,
      Sorry about the late reply. That is awesome! I love a great find. You definitely have me beat on the price. My purse is currently sitting on my bookshelf looking creepy/cool. Did you daughter love the purse? Thanks for visiting, in the next coming weeks I will be updating the blog.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  2. how much is it valued at, have a friend that has one and is curious, it was her grandmothers, thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie,

      Not sure of the value. With most vintage finds, it all depends on the market and the buyer. I have seen the purse advertised for 50-600 depending on color, quality, and which website it is posted on. Look on Etsy or Ebay to get an idea. Hope this helps.

      Delete
  3. My grandma had one of these purses and as long as I could remember, the red beady eyes scared me. When she went into a living center, I asked for the purse.

    Mine has the mirror and lining intact along with the braided straps. One side of the strap is broken but it is identical to your picture. Do you know where I could get the strap repaired? I live in Kansas and have never seen another purse like this until now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Paulah,

      I thought about this very question many times. I would go to a shoe repair shop or someone who can work with leather. Will you wear the purse if you get it fixed? Keep me posted! I would love to see the final piece.

      Delete
    2. Hi Paulah,

      It was the same thing for me---Terrified of it until my mother passed and then I have to have it. Mine needs repaired as well...The arms came out, but they're there.

      Delete
  4. You can by braided leather cord that looks similar to original off of eBay. I’ve seen very few of these with straps intact-a design flaw-lol

    ReplyDelete